3.01.2009

The War of the Cupcakes

So if you read my Valentine's Day post I went on about Michelle getting me a dozen cupcakes. I didn't go on too much about how good these cupcakes were, but they were. Those cupcakes, it seems, have spurred a new desert phenomenon. Or, at least in my mind.
Over the past week Michelle and I became a little cupcake obsessed. Now, any dessert obsession for me isn't going to turn into a frenzy where they next day I wake up covered in devil's cake and icing congealed in strange places. A dessert obsession for me is more like a constant
nagging satisfied by a small slice, piece, or taste.
Oddly enough it seems like other people in London, ON were succumbing to this cranial occupation of cupcake thoughts. As more people talked about
cupcakes Michelle and I deci
ded to visit the two other giants in London's tri-fecta of cupcake bliss.

Place 1: Hey Cupcake
This is the first place I visited. It sparked my love of cupcakes and has a special place in my heart.

Pros:
  • Thick, full-flavored icing (especially the peanut butter icing).
  • A diverse range of flavors that each have their own unique taste.
  • Filling in the cake, something I've never seen that adds an delicious surprise.
Cons:
  • The "cake" base is more thick than fluffy.
  • A lack of flavor that is overshadowed by the impact of the icing.
Place 2: Sweet Cakes
I stumbled upon this place in London's Covenant Market and was instantly dazzled by
the height of these well-frosted cupcakes.

Pros:
  • Tall icing that has more decoration that a kids birthday party.
  • Creative flavours that model a fine chocolatier.
  • A light, fluffy cake base.
Cons:
  • These cupcakes are pricier than they call for.
  • The cake has a starchy after-taste from excess flour.
  • The excessive icing and small cake base are ill-proportioned.
Place 3: Razzle Dazzle Cupcakes
I was recommended to this place with good reason.

Pros:
  • With pistachio and lemon raspberry there are some of the most exotic flavors.
  • Great proportion between icing and cake.
  • A light fluffy cake with a good flavour.
Cons:
  • The flavour isn't a striking as it should be and is on the bland side.
  • The icing is over-sugared, causing a granular texture that falls flat.
For more on cupcakes, check out this blog.

No comments: