10.05.2007

Almost Thanksgiving

Yesterday I celebrated Thanksgiving with a bunch of my friends. I spent the night before making loads of vegetarian stuffing and vegetarian gravy. Some of the stuffing would be used in the turkey, but most would be cooked separately so I could still enjoy. The recipe was one handed down from my Great-Grandmother to my Mother and finally to me. I added my own twists and flavors as any good cook does. The stuffing and the entire evening was enjoyed by everyone.
This really will be my Thanksgiving. Here in the Eastern corner of Canada, far from many homes and families, friends will leave for the weekend. I will stay in Antigonish, NS for my first Thanksgiving because my roommates mother is getting married. As a result this weekend will not be anything like a traditional Thanksgiving. Nonetheless it will be a weekend of family, fun, and thanks. There will be festivities, and of course, lots of love.
However, I will miss my family. I won't be enjoying the smell of cooking throughout the house. I won't have dinner in a low lit family room that will echo with excited chatter. I will miss helping my mom with the shopping and cooking. And yes, I will even miss the long bus ride, airport wait, and airplane fly to get home.

Here is a poem I read to my friends and now share for all the people I love:

To friends and family on this thankful day
I would just like to shout out, "Hurray!"

For all the blessed times we've played
To celebrate our love on this fine holiday.

True smiles and spirit are all that surround
Great memories and moments aren't hard to be found.

So with you all so close and so near
Let us celebrate this with some festive cheer.

We'll say our true thanks,
And mine starts right here;
It's to you that I say
My thankfuls most dear.

Your support and your love
Your greatness and care
Are deep in my heart
Real friendship to share.

So thank you my friends
For being who you are

Just like how we say
You are truly stars.

You're special and great
You're beautiful all ways
So now let us celebrate
HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!!

No comments: