10.08.2007

Thanks to friends!

It's 2:06am, 8 hours past the time I left my living room for dinner with some friends. I'm listening to some of the most romantic music I've heard in awhile (Chris Garneau) and thinking about why it is I love this holiday so much. 
Maybe it is the fact that eating food becomes somewhat of an event. Maybe it is because fall colors are like Nature's way of saying it has the most beautiful matching scheme. Maybe it is because this entire holiday centers around a meal with loved ones. Or maybe, it is because the only consistent thing about this holiday is that every year we surround ourselves with family and friends and say "thank you" to just about everything. I appreciate that there are no gifts. I appreciate that there is no specific religion associated with any of the celebrations. I love that there is a great meal. 
This year I really felt the spirit of Thanksgiving. I got to cook for my friends. My friends cooked for me. I spent my time completely surrounded by people who really understand how gifted we are, and they made me remember how gifted I really am. This holiday makes me realize that I have endless things to be thankful for. It makes me feel good to look at the leaves on the ground as I walk to an apartment that will smell incredible with the scents of cooking food. It makes my heart reach out and touch the world, and have everything touch me back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're having a good Thanksgiving weekend... All I'm doing this weekend/birthday is working... not exactly how I would like to celebrate this time of year, but you take the good with the bad... but I rant... I am thankful for my friends near and far, and wish them all a good weekend

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Sorry I haven't written or commented for a while, I'm currently drafting an email at work for you and you will get it soon.
Just wanted you to know I appreciated the e-card and I was thinking of you over the long weekend and I'm glad to read you had a good time.
Anyways, it felt refreshing reading your blog again and I"ll be in touch.

Talk to you soon,