10.12.2007

Canadian Festival of Spoken Word Day 2

Sometimes everything in a day just falls into a place that makes you feel happy. Today everything was falling to the right places for me. I didn't expect such a good day when I woke up and was greeted by my good friend Justin. I didn't even expect a good day when I felt so grateful to him and his roommates for letting me crash at their house. I started to think this could be a really good day when I went to the most interesting grocery store I've ever been to. I knew fate was aligning things pretty well when I thought "this grocery store looks like there should be a musical here" and then there was a well-dressed, fedora wearing, pianist high in the middle playing jazz on a baby-grand piano. Then, I started to appreciate the beauty of the day when Justin took me and my camera through the Halifax gardens. I felt at peace as I patiently snapped nature pictures of the ponds, ducks, geese, and giant gazebo. I openly spoke with the group of people sitting on the park bench who let me take pictures of them. I was plesently surprised when I found out they were part of the Toronto slam team competing that evening.
Later I would join up with them to hear the first round of slam poetry competitions after I had the best apple of my life and a great pizza. I joined 32 competing poets and many appreciative spectators and friends to observe some amazing poetry. I listened for over 2 hours and was reeling in delight and awe at the artistic talent and creativity.
Afterwards I had went to conduct my interviews and had the most touching part of the evening unexpectedly occur. I began an interview with one of the night's highest scoring poets about what she had performed. We spoke about poetry's responsibility to people and its power. Then, when the mike shut off she told me how something traumatic had happened in her life 5 years back. She told me of an event that could have crushed her entire being if she let it. She told me of how she would not be crushed. Right there I saw her honesty, her spirit, and her integrity. I saw a woman's beauty and strength and independence in a way that I was searching for. And I made a connection.
I thought about this, and family, and life as I talked with a new friend over coffee by the pier. And after I walked her home and strolled the streets alone I let this excellent night sink in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my favourite part was the most delicious apple of your life.

-kate :D