12.05.2007

Across the Universe

Along with being named after my favorite Beatles song, this movie has found a way in to my heart for different reasons.Across the Universe reminded me of the beauty behind the music of The Beatles. As I watched the two main characters discover themselves, love, purpose, and independence I also watched how the music of The Beatles grew. Going from their casual and easy-going beginnings to a much harsher and more aggressive style the Beatles music always impressed in its varying subject matter. Equally, this movies characters and themes were diverse and ever-changing.
The visuals in Universe moved from traditional to psychedelic and appropriately depicted the way a generation viewed the United States. Including references to the Beatles that ranged from character names (the leads include Jude, Lucy, and Prudence) to a dance sequence featuring the Blue Meanies (remember The Yellow Submarine).
I was brought to tears by the love story in this movie that was carried by an excellent arrangement and medley of Beatles music that will move me until the day I die.

No comments: