7.16.2007

The advantageous precludes the honnorable

What happened to decency? Did it just up and leave the table of human interaction? No, every so often it shows up to the party in the form of a kind stranger holding a door open, or someone saying "you're welcome" when you respond "thank you" to their service done. So then, why has decency become less and less frequent? Does the difficulty of being honest and selfless in hard situations play a part? I think so.
I myself am guilty of trying to please everyone simply so I don't have to look like a villein, only to realize that I have lied and failed to be up-front with the people I was trying not to upset. Being honorable means answering to yourself and doing the honest thing. I think people are so afraid to let others down they forget that our actions always catch up with us.
So why am I writing this? It is because tonight was just another reminder of how it is becoming increasingly difficult to find good friends, and how when you've found them you probably will leave them under appreciated at some point. This is inevitable. Reminding them that you haven't forgotten your appreciation is up to you. To all my true friends: I love you.

No comments: