7.04.2007

In the Car

I wrote the following in a notebook on my ride home from the US on July 2nd, 2007:

I'm sitting with my family at 8:40pm barely moving along the 401 highway, agonizingly close to the end of our trip. As I stare out the window listening to Bright Eyes and Modest Mouse I meet the eyes of passengers in other vehicles. I observe the ongoings within many of the cars that pass. As I begin to feel slightly ashamed for watching I realize that while we were previously all separate in our lives, now, for this brief moment, we are all connected. I want to communicate with the families and individuals who are now physically, and in an odd way emotionally, close to me. I want to say, "hello," and hear their stories.

Today at work someone showed me a video about this guy giving away free hugs. I think a lot of us are thinking the same thing and feeling like we need to connect more. Hopefully we can get over our own insecurities and reach someplace wonderful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

brian: this is katie. i just want you to know that i read this whenever i remember you have one of these... and i love reading your writing.
just thought you should know.

love, katiefoy.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I agree with Katie and the guy giving free hugs. I could use free hugs myself. I have not had one of those for many months and yet I love to love and be loved.


love and hugs, lilly

lilly said...

Hi! I agree with Katie and the guy giving free hugs. I could use free hugs myself. I have not had one of those for many months and yet I love to love and be loved.

love and hugs, lilly