7.10.2007

Final Fantasy at Bluesfest

I've just returned from an incredible evening of music down by the Ottawa river at the 2007 Bluesfest. I arrived after the first band, Relief Maps, played on the Blacksheep stage. As I had already seen them at the Capital Idea! Festival it was not a huge loss. Before the concert began I left the friends who were accompanying me to talk to some other people I knew. Then In-flight Safety started setting up. I work with the cousin of the keyboardist so I introduced myself. The band played an amazing set that was filled with cool enthusiasm while still being chilled out - perfect for a warm and humid summer day. Despite frequently playing in Ottawa I think many people were new to In-flight Safety (from Halifax) but the band really won people over by the end.
Then, anticipation grew amongst the crowd and people started to make their way from the grassy knoll at the back to the front of the stage. I was standing front row the entire time, so I knew I would have a great view. As Owen Pallet and his aide in charge of the visual aspect of the evening, Sara, began to set up the crowd went silent. Then, a shrill note from a recorded violin echoed out over the amps. Owen Pallet, sole member of Final Fantasy, silently walked on stage and began to warm up his violin with musical excellence. He played an incredible set mixed with music from both his albums and a projector light show that visually explained the 8 schools of magic which his new album, He Poos Clouds, is based upon. Every time I listen to Final Fantasy I am amazed, overjoyed, and left in wonder. These feelings were only out-done by watching Owen himself be overjoyed by making other people just as happy with his playing.

In-flight Safety

In-flight Safety

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, do i ever love owen.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.