7.27.2007

A concert in awhile

Wow, it seems like it's been a long time since I posted about a concert. Trust me, living it has been much longer than reading about it. However, the wait was worth everything. Last night I saw three amazing bands play and the show really refreshed me and reminded me of what a great concert should be - along with video screens, hand claps, and fishing nets for percussion. The first band, actually person, to play was Rich Aucoin. Not only was his music amazing, but he is touring across Canada from Halifax on his bike for The Childhood Cancer Foundation. And even more, he played his entire album to "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"! And yes, if you buy his album it syncs perfectly with the movie. He played his amazing, lovingly danceable, music in a santa suit and then emerged into the crowd, clapping and cheering, with his mini synth.
Next came They Shoot Horses Don't They? who were also amazing. This 7 piece band played horns, tubas, trumpets, guitars, shoes, bicycle handle bars and a lot more. Their music made you want to dance in a frenzied marching-type fashion and I definitely did not resist. I danced all over the place to their music and even head butted one of my friend's in the process - dangers of dancing I guess.
Finally Shapes and Sizes came on stage and just overwhelmed me with their relaxed yet intense music. There is something about lead singer Caila Thompson-Hannant's voice was incredibly hypnotizing and I really just enjoyed sitting and watching this band.
The fact that I was extremely tired from a long work week didn't hamper my enthusiasm at this show (note dancing injury). Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.

No comments: