6.04.2007

Children on the Bus

Sometimes children just want to be loved. It doesn't matter how, or why, but sometimes it will matter who does the loving. There are a few people in our lives that we will always want to love us no matter what. The best example I can think of is parents. They are the first people we look up to. They our are first guides, leaders, and, for awhile, the only people we have to depend on in the world.
Today on the bus I watched two sets of mothers with their young sons. The mothers both looked like they were single. The sons both looked to be 4 years old. One of the sons yelled swear words to his mother and the other bus patrons, fought, cried and whinnied continuously. The mother ignored the child for the most part while talking on her mobile, only paying enough attention to use her son's actions as a humorous anecdote with the caller.
The other child cooed and smiled pleasantly in his stroller as mom spoke calmly to him without ever using a condescending tone. Even when the son misbehaved the mother attentively said "no" with only a loving tone in her voice.
As I observed all these events transpire on my bus ride I could see that Son A was envious of the love received by Son B. It is a simple concept that is easy to understand: Love those around you and let that love control your actions. Yet, for a variety of reasons, we get lost in other elements of our life that make us forget to love. We forget love's power, but we never stop wanting to be loved.
I hope that you are receiving the love from whoever it is you want to be loving you. I love my parents, my sisters, my family, my friends. I try to tell them that I love them, but more importantly, I try to show them I love them in all my actions.

No comments: