6.25.2007

End of the Marathon

8 days. 30-odd bands. Uncountable memories. This sums up the end of the Capital Idea! Festival that I have been writing about so much. I have been left with sore ears, a sore head, a tired body, and a musically more enlightened soul. I think the best way for me to describe my memories is to go over each day one by one. Since my last post.

Sunday June 24, 2007

An exhilarating show to say the least as I witnessed three bands that really played their hearts out. Books on Books opened the show with extra-long songs that amazed with their diversity. Next came ???. Okay, I forget. Then was Frog Eyes. I can not believe how amazingly loud this band was even without a bass player. The drummer played with incredible speed. The guitarists loved every minute of playing. I completely zoned out in awe as I watched.

Frog Eyes

Monday June 25, 2007

Monday was one of the most anticipated shows for me. I has heard plenty of Ottawa locals
Fucked Corpse but had never seen them before. I partially regret this. Musically this band is exciting and slightly refreshing. Vocally I could only appreciate the singing of their plaid-shirted blonde-haired member. Then came Chris Garneau who I fell in love with. There is something that I can't help but adore with a piano, cello, percussion combo. With staccato notes like Owen Pallett and soft vocals I was taken to a beautiful place with this music. Finally Xiu Xiu played. This band was complex, energetic, and thrill to see, hear, and dance to. By the end of the show I was sweaty, exhausted, and extremely happy.

Chris Garneau

Xiu Xiu

Tuesday June 26, 2007

My favorite show of the festival. I am still in awe of the bands I saw that night. This was a highly anticipated show for me and each band exceeded all my expectations. First,Chinese Stars were supposed to play, but some other trio opened. (I am still trying to find out who they are). This band was new to me and I only caught the end of their set. They seemed energetic and complex. Next came Hot Springs. Right from the beginning when the lead singer changed her chants of "It's Tuesday, let's drink" to "or be sober" specifically for my "straight edge" self. This was a true rock band with panty flashes, crazing growling in the mike, and a tone of danceable, loud music. The banter between myself and the extremly sexy lead singer continued through the set and I think that just pushed my love of this band over the edge. If the lead singer reads this "I love you." Finally, The Fiery Furnaces came on stage. At the beginning of the sound check I had Matt improvise a song on the organs for me with the guitarist. At the end he said "There you go. That was made up." The lead singer smiled at me in the middle of the set because I was dancing so much to their music. They brought two drummers to add a Latin flare. The band played perfectly in-sync and the show blew my mind.

Hot Springs

Fiery Furnaces

Wednesday June 27, 2007

I knew this show would be good as two of my favorite bands were playing. Local group As the Poets Affirm opened with a slightly more mellow show but the most incredible drumming I have seen. Then Rock Plaza Central came on stage and nearly brought me to tears. The band played a crisper set than the last time I saw them and drew some of their songs out to incredible lengths of beauty. Finally Destroyer played his solo show. While he was tired from the plane ride he seemed to take complete control of the stage with an awe-inspiring performance and presence. I felt as though some of the crowd did not get the amazing music transpiring on stage as not everyone was silent. I however was breathless.

Thursday June 28, 2007

Thursday was a welcome change to the intense rock shows previous. Missing the first band my night began with Parts and Labor. This very interesting three-some played an extremely loud show that I oddly found relaxing. I later hung out with the band and spoke intimately with the bassist. He told me some amazing stories and made my night even more enjoyable. Then The Russian Futurists played a great pop show. With their first live drummer the beats and tones were flowing to create a fun, dance show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chinese stars didn't play.

Everyone's Vision said...

Thanks. Someone informed me wrong. I've corrected the post accordingly. If anyone knows who the 1st band was, please let me know.