6.17.2007

Father's Day

I just returned back to Ottawa from Whitby. I traveled home on the train yesterday evening to spend Sunday with my dad, my mom, and my older sister. I have a tradition where I will take my dad golfing for Father's day. This tradition is about 5 years old and really is only different from other experiences with dad because I pay for golf rather than him. Despite the fact that we usually golf together quite frequently (until the past two summers that I have spent in Ottawa) that little difference seems to make the whole experience quite special.
I really think that life's pleasures and happiness are found in details that we call "small". Really, however, these actions and thoughts aren't small at all. In the example of my father, something like me paying says: "I know we enjoy golfing together, and I want to show you that I enjoy it as well." Other small things may say: "I think about you even when you aren't around," or, "You're important to me."
"How might we say and do such things to make a moment more special?" you ask. Really, it is a positive and caring attitude that produces such actions. Smiling at people on the street. Noticing when someone is sad, but only catering to their feelings in an appropriate manner. In the end it comes down to empathy, understanding and love. In some situations thinking "what do they need right now?" is good. In others it is just about showing that you are there for the person.
So open your heart and don't be afraid to care. I had a great Father's Day because I made it about what my Dad wanted.

No comments: