6.09.2007

First x Two

Last night were two firsts for me. The first new experience was seeing a concert in a church! The second was having Montreal-style bagels from Kettleman's. I must argue that your try both.
Okay, so "Why was there a concert in a church?" and, "Is this some type of cult church you refer to?" you ask. To the later I respond, "No, it was a regular church from a regular religion, containing irregular activity on this particular evening." There I was to see 4 amazing bands. Nick Worby kicked things off with a new drummer but an enthusiastic and complex set for a three piece. Next came Eastborough who I have to admit I missed due to Kettleman's.
Yeah, so I went to Kettleman's to get some much needed food and coffee right after Nick finished his set. It as about 10pm at this point, and despite being a bagel place Kettleman's is open 24 hours!! Wood-fired bagels, a tone of variety, and continual availability make this place a real treat. Not to mention the fact that I picked up 15 day-old bagels for $3.50 (that's $0.23 a bagel)!!!
So when I returned there was a bit of a wait before the third, and incredibly amazing, country-style band Entire Cities hit the stage....well, there actually wasn't a stage. It was just the one side of the small hall without a fireplace but with windows.
This band is a site to see. They play banjo, xylophone, and even a saw along with the standard fare. Then finally Woodpigeon came on and blew me away with the sound that came out of this band.
Truly this was an amazing night and I only wish more friends could have shared it with me. Oh well, I can share these memories and photos with you.

Nick Worby. This guy has talent.

Eastborough. Sounded good from the one song I heard.

All of Entire Cities.

Entire Cities.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nick Worby hails from my hometown! :]