6.24.2007

It's a hard discovery

I am 4 days into a 10 day, cross-city/venue, music festival and I am worn out. I have realized that the process of discovering music is physically demanding, socially restrictive, and financially draining. It is also a passion of mine. Last night I was telling my tales to another concert patron at The Wrens show and was asked by a perplexed Glen Nuotio, "How many shows do you see a month?" As I coolly responded, "I average 3 shows a week," and his eyes expanded I realized that I had a serious hobby on my hands.
Concert going for me is exploring a new world. There are new people to meet, new conversations to be had, and new bands to experience. However, there are plenty of sacrifices to be made. Beyond the aforementioned demands of being a music hipster, there is the greatest and worst element to my journey of discovery - boredom. First, boredom at a concert can be great because while a band may be musically incredible, great performers, and even energetic entertainers, you still do not "get" what many of your present company do. This is great because you a) Have now learned more about what your musical preferences are, and b) Understand how someone can love this band, but not you. I am used to entertaining other people's comments of amazement and satisfaction after a band. While not whole-heartedly agreeing with them I must continue the conversation from their point-of-view or less be ousted from the discussion for lack of perception. However, this is still boredom we are talking about and therefore isn't my ideal mind-set at a concert.
I have also realized that while I may not love a band I can still be entertained by them. I may not want to buy their album, but at the moment I am more than happy to be listening and dancing to them. So far I have loved only a few of the bands I have seen, but definitely have enjoyed all of them. Here is a list of the concerts and my quick take on them.

Wednesday June 22, 2007
this was one of the best concerts so far. Jade McNelis has a powerful yet soothing voice. Soviety States were extremely organized (especially for their first show ever). The Besnard lakes really blew the crowd away and played some complex and danceable music.

Thursday June 23, 2007
An incredibly dancy show. Each of these bands created amazing and unique sounds with their instruments that took the entire crowd to different places.

Friday June 24, 2007
This was by far the most interesting show to watch, if not just for the music but the interplay within the bands and between the bands. Unfortunately the crowd was not as receptive to the Walkmen as they deserved. This band has incredible talent and take their music quite seriously. Yes, a band that is having lots of fun can be more enjoyable to watch, but the musical talent pouring off the stage should have been enough.

Saturday June 25, 2007
This was a true rock concert complete with runny noses, hand clapping, and random people playing instruments on stage. Oh yeah, some killer music. Unfortunately I missed the subdued music of Darling Arms. The Wrens have melded great guitar, base, drum standard rock with quirky and compelling sounds that seem to manipulate their music into something much more unique. It was a real treat to see a band that loves playing as much as The Wrens do.

Tonight I am off to see Frog Eyes and I couldn't be happier. This is the most anticipated show of the festival so far for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a wonder what you'll find while being egotistical and googling your own band name. Glad we could appear to be organized. Rest assured we were all cluttered up on the inside.

I'm sure I'll see you around this week.

Good talk.
- S.