6.11.2007

The First Summer Festival

So this past weekend marks off the first real summer festival for the season. Yes, due to global warming summer festivals could have started awhile ago. People in the arts and crafts community here in Ottawa seem to be pretty versatile and planned two different big activities over the past month. I went to a craft and bake sale in a community centre about a month ago and then my very first "art-in-the-park" the past weekend. Both events were amazing.
This weekend was truly great though. In my last post I wrote about my Friday night. The festival I'm referring too is WestFest. On Saturday I began my experience by canvasing for . For two hours I walked around and spoke to people about Canada's lobbying group dedicated to reducing global poverty. This is an amazing and important organization and it was great to give some of my time and also speak to a bunch of people.
It also gave me the time to check out the surroundings so when I was done at 4pm I could head right to The Works for a veggie burger, Bridgehead for some frappuccino, and then go right to the main stage for the concerts. First up was Toronto group Golden Dogs. I missed the next group to get some fresh squeezed and over-priced lemonade. But then, 7pm rolled around and Jason Collett hit the stage. I was expecting him to come with his band Paso Mino, but unfortunately he did an acoustic set. I only say "unfortunately" because I think Paso Mino is the most fun and adorable band. Actually, Jason played a tone of songs and, while the mood was chill, the energy in the air was overpowering.

Golden Dogs

Golden Dogs just got more energetic as the set went on.

Jason Collett is amazing!

No comments: