8.26.2007

Back to Antigonish

For the first time in 16 months I have spent a night in Antigonish as a resident and not a visitor.

View Larger Map
I have indulged myself with some food from the cornerstone eatery of Antigonish – the Wheel. I watched a the Ladykillers vie with my new roommate Wil. As of yet, I have not unpacked.
It feels weird to be back. First, I am hungry. The hunger before the first grocery shopping trip of the university year is now becoming all too familiar. I am a bit lonely too. I feel that loneliness you do when you realize all the support networks you established have been long left behind in some other city or town. I am beginning to realize that now I will have to make many new friends, my daily routines will change, and I am embarking on a new life.
My time in Ottawa at IBM and the government of Canada has forced me to forget most of university. I know it will be great and exciting, I can never forget that, but it is all these little details that I realize I haven’t had to deal with in quite some time. Setting my own work schedule at random hours of the day. Having tones of free time. Not being anywhere near a metropolis. Unable to visit family for a weekend.
I am trying to take all these new things day by day. Trying to remember there is no Sunday shopping. Adjusting to the slow pace of population 5000 town of Antigonish that I once fell in love with.

No comments: