8.02.2007

Memories of Ottawa - Part 1: All of these things are special like the other

In a few short days I will be with my family on a plane headed towards Belfast. This trip will mark the near beginning of the end for me and my time with Ottawa. I have spent 13 amazing months here so far and will only return for a few short days after Ireland to wrap up my work, say goodbyes, pack my belogings and be off to
school. There's a lot that I've given Ottawa but there's even more this beautiful city has given me. I'd like to highlight these things in two insallments. I feel as though I owe it to just about everything that has happened to me in the past while to do the memories justice. Part 1 (aka. what you are reading) will focus on the places that I will miss. Part 2 will be about all the people I've met and the times I've shared with them. I will write Part 2 after I return from Ireland as I feel I need adequate time for the love I've recieved to marinate. For now, here are the places in Ottawa (in no particular order) that I have come to know. I suggest visiting them if you can.




  • Bytowne theater - I've seen many a great film here from the obscure to the hillarious. Highlights include "Paris je t'aime" and "The Host"

  • Nate's - a great Jewish deli introduced to me by my parents. Even as a vegetarian I found a few things to eat here.

  • The Tea Store - this was the first familiar place for me in Ottawa. Calm, soothing, friendly. I met some great people here (Mark, Rio) and saw some great music at the after hours open mikes. Many good memories started with a nice cup of tea.

  • Zaphod's - the place you will most likely find me in Ottawa. I saw some of the best concerts here. Danced some of the best dances, and hung out with a really good crowd of strangers and then friends.

  • Barrymore's - another great concert venue and club. The 80s on Sundays, the 90s on Fridays are not to be missed. This place always guranteed a good time.

  • The many, many parks of Ottawa. Here there are friendly people practicing unicycling, juggling, and just plane hanging out. Ottawa is a vibrant and athletic city and the parks are a great place to observe this
  • The Canal - it really is impressive to live in a city with not one, but two water ways that go directly through the downtown core. The canal is great for jogging, walking, and making out. Romantic, beautiful, something that I enjoyed looking at everyday
  • The Byward Market - the BWM just adds a much more personal feel to Ottawa. Little shops, great food, and always a tone of people. I recommend the sandwhiches at the Byward Cafe, the chocolate at Rocky Mountain Chocolate, or any of the cool things at the variety of shops.
  • Sugar Mountain- open late and a saviour to my candy cravings. Sugar Mountain is not only a fun place to go, but also a source of sugar-fueled energy at work, study time, or when you want to sneak a wider selection of candy into the movie theater.
  • The Works - some of the best burgers in my life. From your choice of patty (I go veggie) to over 60 topping combination and a unique atmopsphere this is not to be missed. I am having works withdrawl as I speak.

Well those are the places that stick out in my mind. Please add any of your own Ottawa favorites. Read about my trip to Ireland (I leave in a few days!!) and look forward to Part 2 of my nostalgia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you missed:

sugar and spice: the store that gave you much needed essential oil fixes

&&&

the elgin street diner: remember the huge orange juice? HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY FORGET HUGE ORANGE JUICE??

...but other than that, you're pretty much set.

Anonymous said...

my personal ottawa favourite is Booster Juice in the Rideau centre.