8.26.2007

Memories of Ottawa Part 2 - The people I love

I am gone. I have left Ottawa. And, behind me trails a long list of memories I will never forget. In the first part of my ode to Ottawa I spoke about all the places that made up my daily routines in Ottawa. Now I write about the people that filled those places, the days, and my heart. There are handfuls of people that have made leaving Ottawa something harder than I ever expected. To address this I will try to go in chronological order from when I first arrived to when I left.

There are my friends from Whitby that I first hung out with - Mike, Remi, Neil. I could always find hilarity and relaxation at their place. They took me to a few Carleton parties and I had a wicked time. Also, Nicole - my sisters roommate and my long-time friend. I could always count on her for a kind word.

Then there are the friends I knew through my sister - Adam, Christina, Isa, Corrinne. It was cool to finally live someplace close to my sister and get to know her better. Adam was a blast to hang out with the few times I did. The girls from the the sorority boosted my ego and threw some great events.

My first roomates - Martin and Jessica. Marty was hillarious with his women and Jessica was great to watch movies with.

My first Ottawa girlfriend - Lisa. Her and her family made the summer incredible.

My second roommate - Ron. He was amazing to live with. I will cherish all our conversations about business and marketing. All the times we went out. The food we cooked.

Ron's friends - Matt, Pat, Chris, Josh. Hanging out with all of them was a tone of fun. The golf was a great time.

My third roommate - Chris. I only knew him briefly, but he played some wicked guitar.

Everyone I met at the concerts, stores, and movie theaters. There are a lot of people to mention here and I feel I would forget some names. I met a lot of people randomly and maybe only once. However, they all made up my time here. From this point on I will mention a few key players that I met randomly or through an interesting story.

Calum. I met Calum at a Rock Plaza Central concert and we just seemed to click. I enjoyed all the concerts he put on, all our discussions about music, and meeting all his friends.

Mark. I met mark at the Tea Store and we really connected. He took me to a few open mike concerts and I really enjoyed the music and all the people I met there. We lost touch later in my stay and I wish we could have reconnected before I left.

Glenn. I first saw Glenn at a concert he opened for and later spoke with him at a Winks concert. We kept running into each other and talking more and more. Now I know many of his friends and am happy to call them some of mine.

Everyone I met through Katie. If you know her and know me then you should know that our times at the Heart and Crown are cherished.

Everyone I worked with at IBM. All my colleagues in the office: Ted, Bob, Barry, Neville, Yannick, Doug, John, Andrew, Dan, Steve, Laurent, Gord. The other people I met: Brad, Carolina and everyone else. All the students especially Maria and Carolyn.

And there there are the people closest to my heart. My three friends that I will hold closest to me in my memories of Ottawa. All our hellos and goodbyes have reinvigorated my faith in people, my happiness, and all the joy that I feel. Thank you so much for everything.
Katie - You are sweet and funny and kind. I adore your laugh and smile. Every moment with you is a tone of fun. I love dancing with you.
Stephan - Every one of our conversations will be missed. Your style and attitude are just fun to be around and inspiring. You are relaxed and generous and I am happy to know that about you. I will miss all the concerts we went to.
Savanna - You are a darling sweet, beautiful woman. I watched you grow with me and become closer to me than I thought I would allow. Thank you for caring for me, all the time you spent with me, and keeping me and my heart company. I am going to miss all the sharing of thoughts, feelings, memories, and emotions that we did.

I am in love, love, love with everyone I met in Ottawa. When I return I will look forward to seeing everyone mentioned here or elsewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

brian, i am already saving my pennies to come visit you. ottawa (& whitby!) will miss you & your handsomeness & love of life & everything else in between. it's really been awesome to have gotten to know you all over again, now that we're older.
i'm glad i can creep on your blog all the time.

-katie

Anonymous said...

oh, and dancing with you was indescribable.

P.S. if you've never heard of Tricot Machine (a french band) you NEED to listen to some and then buy the album. it's fantastic stuff.

-katie again