8.19.2007

Trip to Ireland Part 8 - The Way Home

Last blog entry of the trip. I write from the plane home right before I am about to land. I’ve gone through the many, many photos I took. Thought about the great memories and soon will decompress from all the travel. Already I miss Ireland. I miss my family. This trip has been filled with highs and lows, but always love. I’ve seen plenty of countryside, heard lots of music and enjoyed everything. The greenery, the ocean, the artifacts, the history. Ireland is truly a beautiful country.
Interestingly, it has made me appreciate the little things in Canada. Things like holding doors, being polite, and feeling secure. When in Ireland it can be hard to remember that they haven’t lived with peace for long. It is hard to imagine that the simple securities we take for granted in Canada didn’t exist there only a few short years ago. As I was taking pictures at the traditional Irish music concert in Belfast my dad told me I couldn’t have done that 5 years ago. He said people would be restless about that kind of thing.
Ireland is really becoming a rich country and it shows. Everything there is changing so fast and it is amazing to see. However, I am glad to come home. I am glad to be among my close friends. I am glad to live in such a culturally diverse country that so openly accepts peace.
However, as I enjoy my time in the country I love I will not forget all the kindness I have experienced on my vacation from many of the people that I love. I will think of the time we spent with fondness. I will take with me all those little memories of Ireland back to Canada, back through the days. Soon we will all be together again.

No comments: