8.08.2007

Trip to Ireland Part 4 - Dublin

Today my little sister and parents left for Dublin at 7am on the bus. My parents, sympathetic to my need for sleep, let my older sister and I take the bus with our uncle Joe at 10am. Despite the rushed shower I felt well rested by the time I was off to the station. The bus ride was 3 hours and I only slept a little as the countryside heading south towards Dublin was beautiful. Here is my uncle Joe sleeping:

Once me made it to Dublin the three of us headed up the main street towards Dublin castle. All the buildings were old, tall, and beautiful. It was a sunny yet cool day, which was perfect for walking around. Dublin castle was big and open. We didn't go in but walked around the courtyards. Here was one of the entrances to the main courtyard.


Inside there were these huge sculptures of sand. It was really amazing to see something that looked like stone yet I knew was so delicate.
After looking around we headed towards the Chester B. Library to meet my parents and sister. Once there we had a wonderful lunch and tried to see the DaVinci exhibit. The exhibit was sold out so we went to see their permanent collection. I found this much more interesting as I got to see some of the oldest pieces of scripture. There were many parts and pages of the writings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. It was truly incredible to see such ancient artifacts.

After the exhibit my little sister and parents split up with us again. I headed to the gardens of the castle. Here I am in the middle:

After that I went to Trinity College. This place was incredibly beautiful and I found it hard to imagine that people get to go to school there. I went to see the Book of Kells, which are stored at the college. These books are an elaborate artistic rendition of the bible. They were created hundreds of years ago and are truly beautiful. Their work and appreciation also marks a lot of Irish pride and the strife the Irish went through. The books were stolen and later recaptured. I was proud to observe the work that went into this piece of Irish history.

After that we all met up again and went on a bus tour of Dublin. I got to see things like the Guinness brewery, the Jameson Whiskey brewery, and Europe's largest park. Now back at home all I have to do is sleep. Tomorrow there may be hiking, depending on my foot.

A building we passed on the bus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.